Closet Interview – Cate’s Life Story as a Wellness Pro (part 1)
I received a couple interesting emails a few weeks ago, and two totally sweet women contacted me with their questions. Both ladies asked if I had time to talk about my profession over a cup of tea. They were wanting some career advice, and they happened to be local to my area. So, I emailed my assistant to get in touch with them and schedule some teatime chatting to answer their questions at my house. We ended up recording a two-part podcast episode together!
This week’s episode is the first part of that conversation, and we get a lot into the process of making choices. If you’re wanting to go into the wellness field or you’re already there and are wondering where to take your career next, both of these shows are going to be helpful to you. This first part is about my past history, about going to school, and about making career choices. You’ll learn a lot about awake living and making the right decisions for your future.
I rap with Franni and Katie:
- How the different healing modalities fit together
- What the journey to a career in Ayurveda looked like for me
- The importance of life experience in the decision-making process
- What “user error” is in a career and how practice helps you prevent it
What you'll get out of tuning in:
- Learn how to follow a career path that calls to you
- See how to assess your investment in education and how it’ll help you in a future career
- Discover how to provide value while getting practice in your field and making a living
- Learn how to hone in on the type of impact you want to make and set targets to get there
- My Best 10 Career Tips to Grow Your Wellness Practice
- The Real Deal on the Dharmic, Passion-led Career Path with Jenny Fenig
- Creativity, Career, + Lifestyle Design with Paul Jarvis
- Uplevel Your Wellness Income + Impact with Rachel Cook and Amanda Cook
- 3:40 — Teatime visitors Franny and Katie are considering pursuing careers in the healing and wellness field, and they want to learn more details from someone who’s been through it all in the wellness world for the past 20 years. They’re both torn on how they should direct themselves to the careers they’re interested in.
- 7:00 — Franny and Katie ask questions regarding how Cate got where she is, who her mentors are, and who she really is. Cate was motivated to pursue Ayurveda after working for an organization dedicated to energy efficiency and management. It caused her to realize that there’s so much around us, so much interconnectedness that we’re unaware of. Ayurveda was a natural evolution toward increasing planetary wellness and awareness.
- 17:00 — Getting out in the field and spreading your name as a wellness pro can require some creative tactics, as Cate explains while outlining the method she used to start drumming up business with local clients at the very start of her career.
- 23:40 — The wellness industry is super-competitive, sure, but the market for these types of services is growing every year. The most important thing you can do is get good through lots and lots of practice.
- 31:30 — Many people don’t know how to invest in themselves to get the experience they want out of life. That’s where your skills as a wellness pro come in. Once we know how to do that, we need to teach other people how to invest — each step of the way — to get what they want.
- 39:50 — Being a wellness pro is part providing tools and information and part helping to create community-based infrastructure that can also provide these tools. It’s not just about supporting yourself and individuals, but about helping your community as a whole transform with an eye on planetary wellness.
- “You get bitten by the bug, and it really becomes part of you — and you become part of it.” –Cate Stillman
- “My personal wellness path has always been tied to planetary wellness.” –Cate Stillman
- “Humans need to become more conscious.” –Cate Stillman
- “How much can I start to practice and use my skills so that I get better?” –Cate Stillman
- “Anyone can make it in anything… You can do whatever you want!” –Cate Stillman
- “What are you smitten by? DO follow your intuition.” –Cate Stillman
- “If you can’t thrive in your body, you can’t thrive in your relationships. You can’t thrive in your career. You can’t thrive in dharma, and you can’t make something incredibly amazing happen in your lifetime. You’ve got to start with your body.” –Cate Stillman