Outside the Box Parenting: Intense Children, ADHD, Dyslexsia + Innovating The Template
I had a great conversation with Elaine Taylor-Klaus, who has done an amazing job creating an online resource for parents raising kids with LD, anxiety, ADHD, and related challenges, ImpactADHD.com. Parents and coaches who work with complex kids often find themselves really loving her work.
Complex can mean a whole host of things, from Indigo children, to anxiety, to neurological issues, to you name it. What is important about supporting complex children (for that matter, all children) is figuring out how to meet them where they are.
I rap with Elaine Taylor-Klaus about:
- Adopting a coaching mindset for raising complex kids
- Mindset and perspective shifts for breaking the parenting mold
- The power to shift culture that comes from shifting our parenting to meeting children where they are
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- How to break your own parenting mold
- Naughty vs. Neurological behavior
- The Value of articulating your values
- 3:42‒Tune in here for the differences between therapy and coaching
- 10:58‒Cate and Elaine explore how mindset and perspective can be used to break the parenting mold
- 12:42‒Is this behavior naughty, or neurological? Hop in here for the value of asking what’s really happening with my kid in this moment.
- 20:42‒Tune in here for a hit of the power to change the world from raising conscious children
- 28:58‒Elaine and Cate discuss the power of parenting confidence and family values
- “We often talk about parenting from a place of inspiration, not desperation” ‒Elaine Taylor-Klaus
- “What’s driving naughty behavior? What do they really want? Because kids don’t want to be ‘bad’”‒Elaine Taylor-Klaus
- “Where does this kid feel like they fit into the whole? Now that they’re connected, where are they able to connect and help the culture move forward?” ‒Cate Stillman
- “We are all born with values. We have thousands of values. We have a dozen or so ‘lead’ values. 9 times out of 10 what brings an adult to coaching is they are out of sync with their own values.” ‒Elaine Taylor-Klaus
Elaine Taylor-Klaus, PCC, CPCC, and Diane Dempster MHSA, PCC, CPC, co-founders of ImpactADHD.com, an online resource for parents raising kids with LD, Anxiety, ADHD, and related challenges. Parent educators and certified coaches with 6 complex kids between two families, they are internationally recognized for their realistic and effective “coach-approach” to parenting complex kids. ImpactADHD’s award-winning blog and programs teach Parent Management, providing training, coaching and support for parents to confidently raise independent & successful kids. Authors of Parenting ADHD Now: Easy Intervention Strategies to Empower Kids with ADHD, they help parents reduce stress and enjoy raising complex children.