Soup with Cate Stillman
I am going to talk with you guys today about soup.
Because here in the northern hemisphere, many of you are heading into the holiday season, and people tend to overeat. People tend to eat too heavy and too late. In order to live in rhythm with the daily cycle winter we need a lot of hydration, and the hydration needs to be warm. Warm and liquid in the winter is much more energy efficient. With soup, you have an ideal medium for delivering nutrition to balance out the cold, dry season.
I rap about:
- Why soup is a great regular meal choice for the winter
- The importance and ease of making your own stock or broth
- 3 quick recipes you can riff on to start to automate soup-making
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- A host of tips and tricks for quick and easy stocks, broths, and soups.
- Understand the Ayurvedic perspective on soup’s massive benefits during the winter season
- This podcast mish-mash includes some tips on how to hydrate in the winter.
- 5:37–Cate gives the Ayurvedic perspective on how broth is amazing for a host of reasons
- 6:43–Start here for a quick and easy soup recipe
- 13:41–Cate describes her French onion soup recipe
- 17:41–Jump here for a non-stock-based vegetable soup if you didn’t have time to prep a stock
- “When you simmer nutrients, you get a different level of absorption” –Cate Stillman
- “When you eat soup in the winter, your craving for heavier, denser food just falls away” –Cate Stillman
- “The fresher the food, the better the food” –Cate Stillman