Top 10 Winter Immune Tips from Ayurveda
I don’t know about you, but so many people around me are sick, and I find myself giving unsolicited advice all the time. I know you all who are fans of Yogahealer and are podcast listeners might want some more insight into the particular ways to care for your immune system in the winter.
If you listen and this is helpful, please send us an email to let us know how they impacted you.
Sleep. Nighty nite tea or ashwagandha with hot water at night. Decrease your stress so you can sleep. Realize what you can get done in a day and let it be. Don’t burn the candle at both ends in winter of you’ll set yourself up for autoimmune issues. Seriously. Wind down early. Sleep more in winter or you will get sick. We’re on an annual sleeping rhythm.
Eat early to wind down early. ELD.
Take Hanah or Chavanprash
Live Well Lubed – do self massage. Find out your body type and get a good oil from Banyan.
Lubing helps your lymph filter germs. Dry skin invites germs to take over.
Carry a thermos. Sip hot water every 20 minutes. Take hydration very very seriously. Keep your house cool and dress warm. Take cold showers. It works. I take 2-3 short ones per day
Eat soup. It’s easier to digest. Eat soup at night, maybe for lunch too See tip #2.
Take ashwagandha. It’s a winter herb – an adaptogen. Have it with dinner, with breakfast. Add it to your beet smoothie.
Eat beets. I use beets in smoothies. My favorite winter smoothie is grapefruit, beets, celery, pear and ginger with a few beet greens at room temperature. Thin your bile. Heavy food is everywhere in winter. Beets help you poop
Never be constipated. When you’ll constipated your lymph shuts down. Then you become susceptible to germs.
I rap about:
- Why it is so important to get enough sleep in the winter
- What staying well-oiled means for lymphatic health in the winter
- Simple daily steps that don’t seem intuitive until you clue in to the Ayurvedic reasoning behind them
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- Understand how sleeping, de-stressing, skin care, and more help you thrive in winter
- Practical, simple steps for adjusting your daily routine to maximize the integrity of your immune system
- 2:34 – During winter we build up our sleep bank. If you change nothing else in winter, change your sleep. Tune in here for why and tips for how.
- 13:47 – Most people don’t realize how much drinking warm water in the winter is deeply hydrating until they’ve tried it.
- 20:21 – Struggle with constipation or overindulgence in winter comfort foods? Tune in here for a simple step to aid your digestion
- “Often in winter people don’t realize they’re dehydrated because they are drinking cold or room temperature water” – Cate Stillman
- “Some of your more neurotic emotional cravings start to fall away when you start to live more in tune with the weather” – Cate Stillman