The Yoga of Modern Marriage with Maggie Reyes
Cate and marriage coach Maggie Reyes talk about modern marriage. Maggie is a marriage coach and writer who helps people create more connection in a marriage based on the principles of nonviolence and self reflection. Maggie discusses the idea of teams and alliances in marriages, and Cate offers insight into the yogic philosophy of malas and how they play a role in relationships. Maggie offers a brief self-appreciation exercise at the end of the episode.
I rap with Maggie Reyes of Modern Marriage:
- Why you should work on self-fulfilment in order to be more authentic in your relationships
- How marriage has evolved over generations
- How the principle of Ahimsa relates to marital relationships
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- How marriage and yogic philosophies intersect
- Trends in modern marriages
- Family meetings as they relate to self growth and relational support
- Create Safety Marriage
- The Secrets to a Happier Marriage That Really Lasts
- Modern Married on Facebook
- Visit Modern Married here
- 02:47 – Maggie shares her theory that after leaving the womb, our whole lives are a quest for safety.
- 05:37 – Safety in a relationships start with our own needs and knowing how to honor them.
- 07:04 – Parallel with principle of yogic awareness and creating safety in relationships
- 08:45 – The meanings we assign to actions of others can be harmful or helpful.
- 09:26 – Cate talks about self-fulfilment or lack thereof in terms of relationships.
- 11:20 – Maggie shares a coaching exercise: Mental yoga.
- 15:17 – Cate and Maggie discuss the role of de-escaltion of violence in our everyday relationships as well as the principle of Ahimsa.
- 18:23 – Cate and Maggie discuss the yogic concept of malas
- 21:30 – Where are modern relationships and spiritual evolution going? To more connectedness and awareness.
- 26:53 – Maggie discusses her conscious choice not to have children and how her business, Modern Marriage grew from that so that she could articulate the evolving relationships in marriage as we redefine them as a culture.
- 30:08 – Maggie discusses the idea that in marriages there are teams and there are alliances.
- 35:48 – Cate and Maggie discuss longterm mating
- 42:10 – Maggie offers a self-appreciation exercise
- “When we don’t feel safe, that’s when relationships break down” – Maggie
- “The way that we are violent to each other is so increasingly subtle as our relationships evolve” – Cate
- “Sometimes the most healing and the highest good is to end a relationship” – Maggie
Maggie Reyes is a Life Coach and Modern Marriage Mentor who helps high achieving women have happier marriages. Her romantic-yet-practical approach to love has appeared in Brides and Martha Stewart Weddings. She is the founder of ModernMarried.