Focus on Fit, Not Thin Webinar
It's been a while since I've done a live webinar, but they're so much fun! To me, they're a casual way for us to connect around things that I've been thinking about and practicing. This webinar thatfocuses on being fit not thin has an underlying philosophy — we're swimming in this pool of how we're supposed to look. In many ways, this information is more predominant than how we're supposed to feel. As a not-so-secret result, many of us have been trained to ignore and override what and how our bodies are feeling.
Today, I want to rekindle your connection to how your body wants to feel and help you start taking direct action based on your own internal signals. We can all notice in our own heads and
self talk that there are often some really subtle ways that we're overriding even the most basic signals our bodies are sending us. It's time to get much more connected to how we want to feel
and get more comfortable in our own skin.
I rap with webinar listeners about becoming fit, not thin:
- Our bodies' desire to orient toward movement as a species
- The satiation cycle of nourishment and the ways our bodies want to experience deeper satiation
- Radical self-love, cellular love and how to tap into them
- Why we need to make ourselves more “wild” again and play like kids at recess
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- How to bring more movement into your life and encourage your body to take over
- How to determine what “fit” means for your body and what role your Ayurvedic constitution plays
- How your habits and identity need to evolve for you to become a fitter person
- How to stop associating workouts with work
- Strengthen Your Digestion + Eat Wheat with Dr. John Douillard
- Eating Food for Summer + Boosting Digestion with Dr. John Douillard
- 10 Tips for Intermittent Fasting with Ayurvedic Wisdom
- Owning Your Emotional Eating by Transforming Your Fat with Intermittent Fasting
- 6:45 — There are two key behaviors related to a fitter you. One primarily involves movement, and the other is all about helping your body feel satiated and satisfied. Being fit is about physical experience and radiant longevity, not appearance.
- 11:00 — Our state of mind and emotional state of being directly impact everything that we do. If we aren't in a fit experience in our own bodies, we run into trouble in meeting our own needs and those of the people to whom we're most closely connected.
- 16:30 — One of the first steps in getting fitter is really getting in touch with your body and throwing off our culturally imposed limitations. What do you want for your body? How do you really want to feel? Give yourself permission to dream bigger and ignore the limitations. What would it do for you long-term to become that person?
- 22:45 — Instead of thinking about doing one main workout each day, we need to start thinking in terms of what movement we can do every couple of hours. How many monkeying-around recesses are you freely enjoying each day? Schedule them on your calendar if you're not taking four or five a day. Create a menu of movements you can do, and choose a few activities from it to start rewilding.
- 36:45 — Intermittent exercise makes a lot of sense, but intermittent fasting can seem difficult to adapt to. Open yourself up to experimentation when it comes to your diet! It's time to start honoring your metabolism. Giving it a break with intermittent fasting can help you reach and satiate your true, deep, cellular hunger.
- 52:50 — Are there people in your life who already embody the habits you're starting to adopt? Get into their realms and get motivated. When we don't know people who have these habits, we need to get into a community or group that does. Our habits are communal. What small behaviors do you need to change to become the person you want to be, and who can help you get there?
- 1:12:30 — This section of the show is a Q+A with webinar listeners to discuss a range of topics related to becoming a smarter, fitter, better version of yourself.
- “There are no surprises, but if you're not doing these things, you're making your life more stressful.” –Cate Stillman
- “You can't pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself first.” –Cate Stillman
- “If we're not acting like smart monkeys…we're not going to be as fit.” –Cate Stillman
- “What do you want on the body level? Breathe that in.” –Cate Stillman
- “Do you feel like a wild-animal version of yourself, or do you feel like you've been hyper-domesticated?” –Cate Stillman
- “Getting stressed out has a lot to do with not moving your body enough.” –Cate Stillman
- “Your thinking becomes much clearer when your physiology is energized.” –Cate Stillman
- “We are wired for bliss.” –Cate Stillman
- “Our past habits have a momentum. That momentum is like a tidal wave.” –Cate Stillman