Ayurvedic Healing Drinks + Charismatic Plants with Amadea Morningstar
Amadea Morningstar is a seminal figure in the world of Ayurveda. Anyone looking to studying ayurveda would benefit from getting to know her work, which includes two cookbooks and an upcoming book on healing drinks.
Cate and Amadea discuss how beverages made consciously with seeds and other natural ingredients can have specific healing actions. They discuss the need to soak seeds and how that process allows for better absorption of nutrients. Amadea gives Cate some ideas for drinks she can make her daughter after a long day at school. Amadea gives quick recipe ideas throughout the show so be sure to listen to the entire episode!
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- How tuning into nature’s rhythms can help us create healing drinks from herbs and spices.
- Remember the importance of seed soaking, and pick up a few quick recipes from Amadea!
- 5:22 Late summer/early fall is an invitation for us to tune into our bodies
- 7:09 Beverages as mediums for bringing healing plants and herbs into our bodies for healing and overall nutrition
- 08:25 Soaking seeds for use in beverages; why the soaking process is important for accessing nutrition and protein in seeds
- 11:19 Cold-infusion toning tea recipe
- 15:44 Nourishing beverages for aging
- 18:30 Nature (and no electronics) can help us reset our nervous system including melatonin levels
- 19:23 Tart cherries are rich in melatonin. Cherry aquafresca recipe to help with sleep.
- 24:35 Sourcing your herbs from your local ecosystem + care for your ecosystem
- 27:15 Amadea describes spurge
- 30:00 The importance of cultural diversity and how language relates to seed conservation
- 38:37 Healing beverage ideas for kids after school
- 40:40 Fruit + herb drinks
- 44:45 Kitchen sadhana
- 47:15 Sneak peaks for Amadea’s new books – Ebooks
- 15:26 “So many of the herbs are so fun and tasty so you might as well enjoy them” – Amadea
- 17:54 “Oftentimes I’m trying to lure people into nature at any age because that’s where the reset is” – Amadea
- 25:20 “I’m trying to rewild us as a culture” – Cate
- 37:00 “It’s OK to just let yourself focus and relax and ground in one reality at a time, whenever possible” – Amadea
Amadea Morningstar writes about healing and self care in Ayurveda. She’s the author of the new eBook series Easy Healing Drinks from the Wisdom of Ayurveda with photographer Renee Lynn. Amadea directs the Ayurveda Polarity Therapy & Yoga Institute in Santa Fe, NM.