How to Build Colossal Change with “Atomic Habits” by James Clear
James Clear’s life was forever changed when he faced a devastating injury to his brain in his junior year of high school. After months of hard work and determination, he fought his way back to success in sports, school, and his life. He credits these astounding successes to his “atomic habits.” This concept is something that he wishes to share with the world.
James wants to educate people about a new revolutionizing system for change that has the potential to alter the way we pursue goals. He explains that “Atomic Habits” are the small habits that we implement in our lives that compound to give us the results we are seeking.
We often get discouraged because we expect change to be linear, when in actuality, we experience a “Plateau of Latent Potential”. By realizing that we can get 1% better everyday, and understanding that this improvement compounds, we are more motivated to put in the work that gets us to that breakthrough moment. By focusing on identity based habits and on who we want to become, we are much more likely to succeed in our level of achievement. James emphasizes the important of analyzing and being open to altering our beliefs in order to allow ourselves to grow.
The real power in this process is that it can actually lead to us evolving our beliefs in ourselves. The habit feedback loop involves the cue, the craving, the response, and the reward. By understanding the steps of habit formation, we can better create and break good and bad habits, respectively. Read all about how you can start this transformative new system with James Clear’s book, “Atomic Habits.”
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- How to create persisting good habits
- How to break bad habits
- Why habits are essential to success
Links Mentioned in the Episode:
- Qualify yourself for a spot in Awake Living
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
- James’s website
- Body Thrive Book
- Habits can work for you or against you in life. By understanding how we can design them in our favor, habits can help us achieve our goals.
- It is important to be patient in developing good habits. The effects often remain unnoticeable until we break out of the “Plateau of Latent Potential.”
- By focusing on our systems in place, rather than on our goals, we can better initiate change in ourselves.
- The most effective way to achieve change is to focus on what we want to become.
- By learning the “Four Laws of Behavioral Change” we can effectively build better habits.
Your Favorite Quotes:
- “Habits are the compound interest of self- improvement.” – James Clear
- “The most practical way to change who you are is to change what you do.” – James Clear
- “You can choose the identity you want to reinforce today with the habits you choose today” – James Clear
- “ Every goal is doomed to fail if it goes against the grain of human nature.” – James Clear
James Clear is an American entrepreneur, author, and photographer. His pursuit of habit evolution began with a devastating injury in high school. His amazing recovery and return to success inspired him to share what he learned about habit evolution with the world. James dreams of helping everyone to answer the question: “How can we live better?” He is the creator of the Habits Academy, a training platform for those that aspire to create better habits for themselves. In addition to his book “Atomic Habits” he also releases a weekly newsletter that integrates academic research, storytelling, and personal experience in order to share the art of science of how to live better. Connect with James on his website , Facebook , Twitter and Instagram.