Building a Tribe to Create Change
In this podcast, Cate models her own business Yogahealer (yogahealer.com ) to show how Building a Tribe can be as easy as shooting the breeze with your pals about what really gets your motor running.
So what the heck is Tribe Building?
- Tribe Building is something we all do, and have done forever.
- “A tribe is a group of people, connected to one another, connected to a leader, and connected to an idea. For millions of years human beings have been part of one tribe or another.” Seth Godin (sethgodin.com )
- All that is needed is the idea and an ability to communicate.
What we are tapping into is a connection economy. This is not about persuading someone else to give you something. This is about inviting people who already think the same way you do to come along for the ride.
Cate shares how in 2001 she founded Yogahealer and started organically building a tribe following her move to Idaho in 2002. She was teaching Yoga in a studio but communicating her passions using her Constant Contact newsletter.
Cate’s primary passions have remained pretty constant:
- Making Ayurveda more accessible and more widely understood especially in the Yoga Community.
- Making Living Foods part of a positive conversation in the Ayurvedic Community.
- Giving people ways to participate! Whether it’s sending them outside to pick weeds and eat them, or providing a tutorial for self oil massage, Cate is always drawing people in.
This was the idea. This started the conversation and began to grow the community or tribe.
The conversation has expanded to include Cate’s passion for nutritional support from Wild Invasives. The original tribe is now actively engaged in this expansion of the original conversation.
So if you:
- Need to make a difference
- Want your difference to earn an income
You need to make sure you are being specific.
So in Cate’s business the general purpose is planetary and personal wellness but the more specific conversation is what she is doing with her dandelions and thistles in the backyard.
It’s important to:
Give people something to do.
Use forums for conversation you feel comfortable with eg Facebook
Insist your tribe in engage in conversation
The insistence on conversation arises because the power is actually contained within the collective. There is an imperative for us all to participate in a collective call to action.
“Do not wait for a change of environment before you act. Get a change by action.” – Wallace D Wattles.
11.30 “A tribe is a group of people, connected to one another, connected to a leader and connected to an idea. For millions of years human beings have been part of one tribe or another.” Seth Godin
16.15 This talk is important for people who need to make a difference, but also for people who need their difference to make an income
17.30 Where people go wrong with trying to build a tribe.
23.40 If you are trying to create impact through your business; know, shared interest and way to communicate
24.25 What is the most dynamic/specific conversation I want to be having right now?
24.40 If you engage you transform
26.25 Leadership is about creating the change you believe in
27.00 How are you going to measure progress
29.30 “Do not wait for a change of environment before you act. Get a change by action.” Wallace D Wattles
Patricia Alberte – evolutionarycollective.com
No comments yet, be the first to comment