Mindfulness + Intermittent Fasting: A Womens’ Perspective with Jenn Diamond
Seven years ago, intermittent fasting for fat loss was a controversial topic…now it seems everyone is doing it. The problem is no one wants to lift weights – which is the KEY to success as far as my experience has shown. I brought Jenn Diamond, a leader of a women’s group on Facebook that experiments with IF, onto the show to take a look at intermittent fasting from a woman’s perspective.
As we all know, it takes work to sift through what the experts have to say in order to find what works for us. The Yogahealer community really zeroed in on IF. I continue to get all kinds of questions on process and what are the best options – particularly for how to adapt to what is unique about women’s physiology. The Leangains 16/8 method which is what I and Jenn base our food/exercise rhythms on, is really about body re-compositioning–for those who want to lose body fat and add lean bulk. In this episode we get into what to consider in order to adapt an IF method like Leangains into your routine.
Intermittent Fasting for fat loss, which was a controversial topic seven years ago when I first discovered it, has become as mainstream as Atkins or the South Beach Diet – it seems everyone is doing it now. The problem is no one wants to actually lift weights – which is the KEY to success as far as my experience has shown.
Read that you enjoy the Leangains 16/8 method. When did you first discover it and why did you decide to try it?
Are you still following the Leangains method?
Do you also strength train to the degree Martin recommends for both men and women? If not, why?
What about different body types?
Make a plan and stick with it for a month before you will know if it will work for you. The purpose of these macros, as I follow them, is to lose body fat and add a little lean mass. If you want more of a bulk, increase your protein requirements and subtract from carbs and fat respectively. Leangains-style of IF is more of a body re-composition program.
I rap with Jenn Diamond about:
- how she finds ease in balancing exercise, IF, career, and family
- how being in fat metabolism leads to a more chill lifestyle all around
- staying away from the female athlete triad by making IF about listening to your body’s needs
- how important strength training is to reshaping the body
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- Understand how IF adds to easeful living and frees up energy for other things
- Gain new insights into how to make IF work with your life and your lifestyle
- Understand how crucial mindfulness and intuition are to being healthy about experimenting with IF
- “Stop thinking about food!”–Jenn Diamond
- “All this crazy mind-blowing stuff happens when you’re not eating all the time” –Cate Stillman
- “Cooperate with and observe your metabolism” –Cate Stillman
- “You want to change your body–especially for us ladies over forty–you have to do resistance training” –Jenn Diamond
Mother, wife, surfer, & writer who discovered weightlifting and IF about 7 years ago. NASM-Certified Personal Trainer with a Fitness Nutrition Specialization and she currently works for the U.S. Navy as a Fitness Coordinator at Naval Weapons Station Earle in Colts Neck, NJ.