How to Heal and Restore with Yoga Nidra with Rod Stryker (Part 1)
Culturally, we are moving towards higher levels of division and speed. Everything in our world is getting faster and faster and thus we are having to split ourselves up into smaller parts to get everything done. This disrupts our physiology as we have to process more sensory input than we ever have before; the acceleration and distraction we have created in today’s world causes us to be anxious, fearful, depressed, or scatterbrained.
Yoga Nidra is a practice that allows us to do the opposite. By lying down and using the healing power of Divine Sleep, we feel both a sense of unity and a slowing down; we feel wholeness once again. The practice of Yoga Nidra allows us to slow down while making us more unified both individually and collectively.
On today’s podcast, world renowned Yogi, Rod Stryker, tells us why Yoga Nidra, the yoga of Enlightened Sleep, is such an important and effective methodology in our world. It is healing not only on a physical level, but therapeutic to all five of our koshas. Listen in and gain insight on this practice that could possibly change and heal your life!
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- What is Yoga Nidra?
- Why is Nidra so important and so effective in our daily lives?
- How can Yoga Nidra benefit you?
Links Mentioned in Episode:
- 1:15 – We as humans have lost the ability to relax. Rod Stryker tells us why Yoga Nidra is so important and effective in our lives today. Culturally we are moving towards higher levels of diffusion and division- we are speeding up in life to accomplish more, and at the same time being split up into smaller parts. This leads us to fear, anxiety, restlessness and the inability to relax.
- 11:10 – Rod talks about the beginning of Yoga Nidra- where and when it came from and the ‘krama’ or sequencing of Nidra and how it progresses.
- 17:20 – We hear a bit about each of the 5 goals of Yoga Nidra- healing, improvement of cognition, and transformation. Tune in to the second half of this podcast to hear the final goal of Yoga Nidra.
- “The more focused you are, the less conscious you are of the big picture.” -Rod Stryker
- “Sleep is a transition from minutiae to expansiveness.” -Rod Stryker
- “The more you let go, the more you are supported.” -Rod Stryker
Yogarupa Rod Stryker is a world-renowned yoga and meditation teacher, guiding and sharing his wisdom for 40 years. He is the founder of ParaYoga®, the author of The Four Desires: Creating a Life of Purpose, Happiness, Prosperity, and Freedom and the creator of the app Sanctuary, a vital resource for the practices of meditation and yoga nidra (also called Enlightened Sleep––the ultimate science of deep relaxation). Rod has dedicated his life to improving lives through his lectures, writing, practice, teaching, leadership, service and family life. Contact him on his website and facebook page.