Disrupting the Dysfunctional Medical Model with the Modern Country Doctor with Dr. Eric Grasser
A few years ago, Dr. Eric Grasser approached me to partner with him on the Ayurveda Summit. We had a blast together and have kept in touch since. He is a brilliant doctor who knows so much about so many things, but who is also incredibly humble and easy to talk to, and I so appreciate our friendship.
When we started collaborating, Dr. Grasser was not happy with the mainstream medical model he was using to run his complimentary allopathic, functional medicine, and ayurvedic practice.
Today, we talk about the return of the country doctor. Dr. Grasser talks about how he transformed from a regular practice to a non-butler concierge model. Why? This model incentivizes doctors to take preventive care of their patients. To me, this is the future of complementary medicine: finding what we should do next as collaborators of eastern and western medicine, transformative technology, and ancient wisdom.
I rap with Dr. Eric Grasser about a Better Doctor-Patient Relationship:
- How he transitioned from a regular practice to a membership-based model
- Why his model better incentivises doctors to implement preventive care and educate their member and patients
- Readjusting our mindset into an evolving wellness model
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- Rethink how doctors may re-enter the picture in your wellness future
- How to develop a community that nurtures its members
- Why you want to see an integrative doctor vs. an allopathic doctor
- Learn how to find this model of care near you!
- Dr. Grasser's website: Sign up for Dr. Grasser's newsletter and receive his Top 10 Wellness Tips for free!
- Dr. Grasser's Facebook
- 3:30 People are thirsting for a change to the traditional care model we practice in our western world, where illness is treated as it arises and where income is generated when a physician sees a patient.
- 7:40 With his new membership-based model, all of Dr. Grasser's patients have the following benefits:
- Enhanced access
- Members can directly communicate with Dr. Grasser via cell phone at all hours of the day or night
- If they have an urgent need, members can be worked into Dr. Grasser's schedule the same day or the day after
- Prolonged visit time
- Members have time to talk about their diet and lifestyle during visits
- Members have more time for prevention and education
- Membership Meetings
- Every couple of months, Dr. Grasser gives a lecture on a health topic that combines functional medicine, Ayurveda, and integrative medicine
- Members can participate in a Q&A following the lectures, which brings the members together and promotes a sense of support between them
- Access in emergencies
- Even when they are admitted to the hospital, members can be assured that Dr. Grasser will be there to take care of them
- Comprehensive members receive even more benefits:
- Enhanced access
- Access to Dr. Grasser's online courses
- Discounts on supplements
- Home visits
- 10:40 Switching from a traditional model to an integrative and collaborative membership model can help not only patients' individual Thrive, but also community and planetary Thrive.
- 17:20 The membership model is also a shift from reactionary to preventive medicine. Instead of paying every time to see a doctor, a membership fee provides access to them all the time, and that relationship nurtures healthy behaviors and establishes a healthier life with less affliction down the road.
- 24:35 Many progressive practices bring in health coaches and use the power of members as a peer group to follow up with each other and make sure they are making changes in their daily lives. This allows physicians to focus their skill set to its greatest capacity while also providing patients with support in transforming their health behaviors.
- 32:30 Look for concierge medicine practices or functional medicine practitioners to find a similar, membership-based model of care near you!
- “This is what disruption looks like in the holistic paradigm. It looks like a lot of people connecting. It looks like not just information being exchanged, but support.” – Cate Stillman
- “Patients want to talk. They want to be listened to. They want to be asked questions. They want education. They want options reviewed to them. And they want perspective.” – Dr. Eric Grasser
- “It's easier to take care of 300 well people than 300 sick people!” – Cate Stillman
- “Western medicine is great for emergencies, but we know that it's been incredibly unsuccessful in chronic disease management, and it's been unsuccessful in prevention and lifestyle. And that's where Ayurveda shines.” – Dr. Eric Grasser
- “Learn from whatever worked or didn't work yesterday and apply that today.” – Cate Stillman
- “It's incredibly frustrating for patients to come in and have their doctor not know them.” – Dr. Eric Grasser
- “Unfortunately, the way the western medical system is structured… is all about turning the person who is a whole, complete being, into just the sum of parts and a set of diagnoses.” – Dr. Eric Grasser
- “People are on a wellness journey. It's not a stop.” – Cate Stillman
Dr. Eric Grasser is one of the world’s foremost experts in the integration of Functional Medicine and Ayurveda. He supports his patients through his extensive experience in Western Medical practice as well as his deep knowledge of the alternative healing systems of Ayurveda, Yoga and Functional Medicine.
Dr. Grasser is also a dad and a graduate of Stanford University and Dartmouth Medical School.