The Truth about Turmeric with Dr. Shivani Gupta
Dr. Shivani Gupta and I have a wonderful podcast for you today on herbs, spices, and their healing properties. We get deep into the benefits of Turmeric and its’ active ingredient, Curcumin. Did you know that Turmeric not only helps fight inflammation in the body, but is also an antioxidant, supports the immune system, helps decrease stress and diabetes, strengthens the ligaments, and reduces pain when taken in larger doses?
Dr. Gupta talks about her childhood and being raised by traditional Indian parents with a lot of knowledge in the world of herbs. They used herbs to cook, to heal wounds, and to fight illness, just to name a few. Shivani ‘s interest in spices and herbs at such a young age drew her to use them to aid her in childbirth, to help in raising healthy children, and in cooking for her family. She discusses her passion for cooking, and we learn that consciously prepared herbs, spices, and food are our medicine and can be used to replace drugs.
Shivani teaches us that the preparation of food with love and compassion allows us to slow down and to shift into deeper alignment with ourselves. When we take the time to learn about these important herbs and spices, we are able to shift our perspectives on food and medicine, changing ourselves and the way we live our lives for the better.
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- What are the real benefits of Turmeric?
- What is the right dosage of Turmeric?
- How and why to combine herbs?
Links Mentioned in Episode:
- Shivani’s website
- Shivani’s facebook
- Sign-up for the FREE live Living Ayurveda Masterclass series now!
- 1:00- Shivina tells us about her experience growing up in an Indian household and how they used herbs and spices in many different ways: for food, as medicine, or to heal a wound.
- 5:00- Understanding plants and herbs, such as turmeric, and what each piece of them can be used for. The benefits of the herb or spice in its full form vs. its ground down form.
- 13:45- What happens behind the scenes when we create curry with Turmeric? What are the benefits of turmeric and why should we eat it? What is the proper dosage of turmeric and what are its contraindications? And Curcumin or Turmeric as a replacement for IBuprofen and painkillers!
- 28:00- Cooking with love! AND what is the truth behind cooking with curcumin and black pepper vs. cooking with curcumin and oils, ghee or fats.
- “We put the spices in in a certain order so that their aromas released but also so that their benefits released….It’s an investment into your own health with every dish that you cook.” -Dr. Shivani Gupta
- “I don’t reach for pain killers anymore, I reach for Turmeric. If the whole world reached for turmeric instead of painkillers, we would have a whole different planet. ” -Dr. Shivani Gupta
- “I am here to nourish and love my family, I want us all to be peaceful happy people. I’m going to cook with that in mind.” -Dr. Shivani Gupta
Dr. Shivani Gupta was born and raised in Houston, Texas to a loving traditional Indian family. Throughout her entire life, her father taught her about healthy eating, organic foods, effective supplements, and fortifying the body to have the best health. Shivani took this knowledge to the next level, backing inherited wisdom from her family with modern science.
Dr. Gupta interned in the biochemistry lab at University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Centre. She later proceeded to continue her own study, obtaining a PhD in Ayurvedic studies focusing on herbology and anti-inflammatory herbs. Shivani recently published her book Conscious Pregnancy Spiritual Practical Approach, that shares her deeply personal experience of integrating conscious practices into her pregnancy and later into raising her two kids and teaching them to adopt healthy habits early in life. Check her website and facebook page.